Prevailing Wage Law: An Understanding of the Davis-Bacon Act
|Date / Time:
Many organizations are ill-informed regarding the requirements for complying - and the consequences of non-compliance - with the Davis-Bacon Act when bidding on and performing federal public works contracts.
The U.S. Department of Labor has become increasingly vigilant in their investigation and enforcement of federal wage and hour laws, with violations often resulting in millions of dollars of damages and attorneys' fees awarded to the successful litigants and their attorneys.
Learn about recently-enacted federal legislation, Executive Orders issued by the Obama Administration involving the use of federal stimulus monies, and loan guarantees by various federal agencies impose prevailing wage and employment law compliance requirements that will result in increased enforcement by the federal government.
Coverage of the Davis-Bacon Act
- The Impact of Federal Stimulus Funds Provided Under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
- What Is the Davis-Bacon Act?
- Other Applicable Federal Employment Laws
- Key Differences Between the Davis-Bacon Act and State Prevailing Wage Laws
- Federal Public Works Contracts
- Construction, Alteration or Repair
- Site of the Work
- Contractors and Subcontractors Covered
- Work Performed by Employees of the Public Entity or Awarding Body
- Laborers and Mechanics; Truck Drivers
- Apprentices, Helpers and Trainees
Enforcement and Investigation
- The Davis-Bacon Act Stipulations
- State Prevailing Wage Law Differences
- Payment of the Prevailing Wage Rate
- Classifications of Work and the Conformance Process for Missing/Additional Classifications
- Components of the Prevailing Wage: The Basic Wage and Fringe Benefit Rate(s)
- Bona Fide Fringe Benefits and Self-Funded Benefits
- Computation of Wages and Fringe Benefits Paid/Provided to Workmen
- Recordkeeping and Certified Payroll Records
- DOL; Awarding Body; State Agencies
- Private Right of Action
New DevelopmentsAbout The Presenters
- Unpaid Prevailing Wages
- Termination of Contract and Liability for Excess Costs
- Debarment; Other Potential Remedies
Van Allyn Goodwin, Esq.
- Senior shareholder and attorney in San Diego Office of Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Extensive experience advising and representing employers in matters involving claims for violation of state and federal prevailing wage laws
- Practice covers the full range of employment and labor laws on behalf of employers
- Regularly conducts training sessions for employers regarding various labor and employment laws, sexual harassment, and wage and hour compliance, including prevailing wage laws
- Frequent speaker on emerging employment and labor relations law topics
- Spoken at “The Employer®” conferences and “Breakfast Briefings” sponsored by Littler Mendelson P.C. for more than 25 years, and at numerous employment law seminars
- Written the “California Prevailing Wage Law” section of The California Employer® manuals (Lexis/Nexis) since 2000 and the “Government Contracts” chapter in the Wage and Hour Answer Book (Aspen Publishers) since 2008
- J.D. degree, University of San Diego School of Law, and member of the San Diego Law Review
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
OSHA Recordkeeping 101
Safety Metrics: 10 Ways To Measure And Quantify Your Safety Program
Incident Investigations: A Simple Process That Works
OSHA Compliance Seminar
What′s New In Confined Spaces Regulations
Best Practices For Emergency Response Planning
9 Ways To Spot, Handle, and Reduce Workers′ Comp Fraud
Behavior Based Safety: What Works, What Doesn′t, And How It Can Help Your Organization
OSHA 30-Hour Compliance Course
Workers′ Comp Cost Savings Tips
Workers′ Comp 2014
How Workers′ Compensation Works
The Employee Safety Handbook
7-Minute Safety Trainer-Spanish/English Edition
Internal Investigations Certificate Program